1. Using the elements of composition and the principles of design discussed in your text, evaluate if Goya’s Execution of the Citizens of Madrid, May 3, 1808 is successful.
2. In terms of our culture and art, what basis is there for the traditional saying, “We are all Greeks”? Support your argument with specific examples.
3. Explain how Bologna’s Samson Slaying a Philistine uses line, form and mass to create its emotional effects.
4. Using the elements of composition and the principles of design evaluate whether or not the Taj Mahal in Agra, India is successful. in your text for a picture of the Taj Mahal. (Note: this question is about the building.
5. How does the Venus of Willendorf figurine reflect the needs and concerns of Prehistoric people?
6. In what ways does this relief sculpture portraying Akhenaten and his family differ from typical Egyptian art? Why did Akhenaten demand this stylistic change and for how long did it endure?
7. Who is noted for his use of the geodesic dome?
8. Holes that appear in sculpture are called
9. Who were the first to invent the portrait sculpture style known as verism, wherein harsh reality, as opposed to idealized beauty, is preferred?
10. The Athenian fortified hilltop, on which the Parthenon is situated, is called the
11. The Elgin Marbles of the Parthenon can be viewed in what museum?
12. When two tunnel vaults intersect at right angles they form a ______________.
13. Music for the Greeks was an integrated artform in its relationship with poetry and dancing; thus, music could affect character through its ethical powers. This is known as the doctrine of ____________.
14. A building’s size and the relationship of the building and its decorative elements to the human form is called _______.