Executive Overview: Initech is a financial software developer that provides software and services to half of the Fortune 500. The organization currently has four major offices located in Austin, Detroit, Seattle, and Washington, DC. Two smaller offices are co-located with the organization’s largest customer. Those offices are in Miami and Denver. A sales team of more than a hundred work across the United States, primarily from their own homes. Initech currently outsources its entire distribution function to Penetrode Logistics. Initech has experienced a combination of growth and disaster in the last 3 years. The organization’s technology, specifically the server and Active Directory environment, has not been well designed or planned during this time. Internal growth has put a huge strain on the servers. Mergers have left the organization disconnected. Disasters have caused extensive loss of data and productivity.
Management has decided to invest in a major overhaul of the server and Active Directory environment.
Active Directory Special Considerations
• No existing servers will be available for this project. The proposal must include all servers needed for the new Active Directory environment.
• All offices should be able to operate (login users, access files and local resources, etc.) if their respective Internet connection is down.
• All offices should be able to operate if any one Active Directory server at a site goes down.
• All workstations at Initech and Penetrode are either Windows XP SP3 or Windows 7.
• A default Group Policy should (at a minimum) limit a user’s ability to install software themselves, change machine settings, or use unauthorized USB devices.
• New workstation images as well as software packages should be easily deployable at each site.
• Remote users must connect using certificates.
• Key employees at Penetrode must be able to access Initech’s server environment, including the SharePoint Intranet site, without having to use a separate set of login credentials.
• Initech is considering an acquisition of Penetrode.
Required Proposal Responses
Executive Overview – Provide an executive overview for your organization’s Active Directory proposal.
How will your proposal help Initech? What are the key aspects of your design? Why should Initech select your proposal over your competitors’ proposals? (1 page)
Include the site names, transports, subnets, and other necessary information. Design can be submitted in diagram, chart, or paragraph form (a site diagram is preferred.) (Half page)