Follow order of operations to simplify the following expression:
Evaluate the expression using the values given for the variables.
2) y + 5 + y2x; use x = 7, and y = -1
Simplify the expression.
3) -5(a + 3) – (-7a + 9)
Simplify the expression and write your answer as a fraction in lowest terms.
5) A bird bath that is 5.1 ft tall casts a shadow that is 10.2 ft long. Find the length of the shadow that a 19.7 ft tree casts.
Set up and solve an equation to answer the question below. Round your answer to the nearest tenth of a percent if necessary.
6) What percent of 142 is 20?
7) From 66 inches to 49 inches
Find the final price of the item below, given that the tax will be applied to the discounted price.
8) Original price of a shirt: $64.99 Discount: 10%
use simple interest to find the ending balance, given the following values for principal, rate, and time.
9) $52,700 at 6.1% for 5 years
Solve the equation given in #10.
10) 5 – 2n = 11
Solve the equation given in #11.
11) 2(3v – 8) – 5(-8v – 5) = -37
Solve the equation given in #12.
Solve the equation given in #13.
13) -3.4x – 2.9 = -2.1 – 1.8x
Solve the inequality in #14, write its solution set in interval notation, and graph the solution set on a number line.
14) 10 + 7n > 136
Solve the inequality in #15, write its solution set in interval notation, and graph the solution set on a number line.
15) 4n + 6n > 6(2n+6) – (6 – 3n)
Find the slope of the line. Assume that the scale on each axis is 1 unit per tick mark.
Find the x- and y-intercepts of the line represented by the equation below. Plot both intercepts on a coordinate system and drawn the line through them.
17) 2x + y = -4
Write the slope-intercept form of the equation of the line through the given points.
18) through: (-1, 1) and (4, -2)
Find at least three ordered pairs that satisfy the equation and sketch the graph of the line through them.
19) 3x – y = 2
Solve the system of equation by the method of substitution.
20) y = 7x
4x – y = 24
Write the point-slope form of the equation of the line described.
21) through: (5, 3), parallel to
Write the slope-intercept form of the equation of the line described.
22) through: (-5, 2), perpendicular to
Solve the system by graphing both lines on one coordinate system.
23) x + y = -3
x – 4y = -8
Solve the system of equations by the method of elimination.
24) -4x – 8y = -28
3x + y = 26
25) Nicole and Mark are selling flower bulbs for a school fundraiser. Customers can buy packages of tulip bulbs and bags of daffodil bulbs. Nicole sold 10 packages of tulip bulbs and 9 bags of daffodil bulbs for a total of $275. Mark sold 5 packages of tulip bulbs and 3 bags of daffodil bulbs for a total of $115. What is the cost each of one package of tulips bulbs and one bag of daffodil bulbs?