Exam: 500440RR – Finding Sources and Taking Notes
1. Suppose you’re paraphrasing an article into your own words to better digest the material. What should you aim to do?
A. Write notes on a separate paper as you read.
B. Read first, then write.
C. Jot notes in the margins.
D. Use the same sentence structure as the author.
2. You’re writing an essay for an assignment. What is the final step in the process before you submit it?
3. When taking notes during research, if you copy an author’s exact words, what should you do on the index card?
A. Paraphrase the information
B. Mark the information in quotation marks
C. Circle the information
D. Underline the information
4. How you sound to your audience is called
B. point of view.
5. Marsha states that information offered on the Internet may be less reliable than library print sources, because anyone can post information online. Randall argues that the Internet offers rapid access to many kinds of information and it’s not necessary to check the site’s reliability. Who is correct?
A. Only Marsha is correct.
B. Both students are correct.
C. Neither student is correct.
D. Only Randall is correct.
6. You’re trying to narrow the topic of financial problems faced by small businesses. You ask, “Do small businesses pay as much in taxes as corporations do?” What technique have you just used?
C. Writing assertions
7. You put together a study group to discuss ideas with two classmates. You exchange ideas about topics, such as impressions, reaction, and facts. What is this an example of?
8. You’re searching a library catalog for research materials for an essay. Which of the following will list periodicals by title, author, and subject?
D. Subject directory
9. Ask, Google, and Bing are all
A. general reference sites.
B. search engines.
D. newspaper websites.
10. With regard to choosing a point of view, which set of pronouns is best suited to a second-person perspective?
A. You, your, yours
B. Mine, yours, their
C. Me, mine, yours
D. She, he, they
11. A powerful visual technique called _______ may often be the best way to search out ideas to write about.
12. You need to search a general periodical database for research on your topic. Which of the following would be most suitable?
A. Google Scholar
13. You go to the library to conduct research on your topic. If you want to search for keywords on two words that must appear in a document, use _______ in your search.
A. a question mark
D. quotation marks
14. When the audience you’re writing to is your instructor, you should
A. choose a topic he or she is interested in.
B. avoid unnecessary definitions of technical terms.
C. clarify technical terms and supply background information.
D. assume a certain level of knowledge about your subject.
15. In the process of narrowing his topic, Lewis used a branching diagram to identify
A. specific details.
B. viable ideas.
D. dead ends.
16. While determining the purpose of your essay, you think of the three main purposes of writing. Which of the following is not one of these purposes?
17. If you’re writing to an audience of students your own age, which of the following statements can you safely make?
A. My audience doesn’t care about grammar and punctuation, so it won’t matter how I write.
B. Providing background on my topic will help my readers understand my point of view.
C. I respect my readers’ intelligence by assuming they know the same things I know.
D. Because we probably have similar backgrounds and experiences, my readers will also share my values.
18. Connor and Emma are debating the best approaches to choosing a topic. Emma argues that it’s best to focus on ideas and questions rather than on topics. Connor argues that a good strategy for choosing a topic is talking with friends about issues that suggest interesting topics. Which student is correct?
A. Only Connor is correct.
B. Only Emma is correct.
C. Both are correct.
D. Neither is correct.
19. A list of all the sources you consulted during your research is called a/an
A. works cited page.
B. note card.
C. annotated bibliography.
20. Your instructor asks you to provide a list of sources you consulted and a brief summary of each. This is known as a(n)
B. subject directory.
D. annotated bibliography.
21. Which of the following statements is an appropriate thesis for an essay that’s aimed at both persuading and informing the reader?
A. A colorful sunset puts me in mind of an artist in search of a subject.
B. Given the evidence, it’s clear that preserving wetlands is essential to the common good.
C. Across the globe, particularly in less developed nations, an increasing proportion of people now live in urban slums.
D. Few people realize that bats are of great assistance in controlling insect populations.
22. During a library visit for research, you search through a number of newspapers and journals. These publications are examples of
23. Writing fast without stopping to edit your work is used in the process known as
24. You would like to find the most recent information on a news topic for an essay you’re writing. Which of the following websites would be the most suitable site for you to consult?
A. Britannica Online
B. Encyclopedia Smithsonian
D. CNN Interactive
25. Google Scholar (http://scholar.google.com) is an example of a
A. scholarly journal.
B. news site.
C. search engine.
26. Read the following sentence and choose the paraphrase that does not contain plagiarism. Even though
her work was, for the most part, systematically ignored by art historians, Artemisia Gentileschi would go on to produce a body of work sufficient for revisionists to designate her as the first woman to have had a significant impact on Western art.
A. Artemisia Gentileschi’s art seemed to be systematically ignored by art historians, although her body of work had a significant impact on Western art.
B. Although she was “systematically ignored by art historians,” modern critics acknowledge the contribution Artemisia Gentileschi made as a female artist in a man’s world (Turner 12).
C. While her work was ignored by art historians, Artemisia Gentileschi produced sufficient work for revisionists to name her the first significant woman in Western art.
D. Artemisia Gentileschi produced a body of work that revisionists say makes her the first woman to have had a significant impact on Western art, even though her work was ignored by art historians for many years (Turner 12).
27. A branch diagram is used to
A. read actively.
B. analyze an essay.
C. narrow a topic.
D. revise a draft.
28. Which of the following is an example of a scholarly journal?
A. The Wall Street Journal
B. Film Quarterly
C. Popular Science
D. Psychology Today
29. Which of the following statements about plagiarism is true?
A. Plagiarism applies only to written words and ideas, not to diagrams or pictures.
B. It’s okay to use someone else’s words, as long as you properly acknowledge the source.
C. Copying from the Internet isn’t considered plagiarism because it’s all free for the taking.
D. Unintentional plagiarism generally isn’t punished.
30. If you’re sketching ideas and relationships by circling ideas on a piece of paper and connecting topics with lines and arrows, you’re