Question 1 has no word limit, but a 200 word response is needed for question 2 – 7 with in text citations and references.
1. List and explain the various duties of the national union president and executive board members, and illustrate how their remuneration is not always considered “fair compensation” as compared to their CEO-counterpart in the U.S. corporations.
2. What is the importance of the constitution of a national union? How does it dictate the internal government and procedures of the union?
3. What are the various methods utilized by staff representatives to woo the employees of non-union organizations to unionize? What are examples of employer obstacles they have faced, citing court cases?
4. Why do people become local union officers even when there is often little or no compensation involved? Include extrapolation on the study by Koziara, Bradley, and Pierson.
5. Evaluate the use of electronic locks in hospitality operations. Be certain to discuss both the advantages and disadvantages.
6. You have been retained as a facilities management consultant for Magic Mountain Resort Lodge and Spa located in the town of Estes Park. Recently the property experienced a kitchen mishap during which meat scraps were disposed of improperly. This action caused a wastewater back up into one of the resort’s condo units located in an adjacent building and resulted in serious damage to the condo unit, as well as destruction of personal property belonging to guests who were staying in the condo. The resort owner does not want to accept responsibility for the flood, but the guests who were flooded out of their condo have asked for an explanation. Note: This same unit had been affected by a wastewater flood from the resort’s spa two years earlier. What advice would you give the owner and what information would you provide the resort guests? Explain in detail.
7. What do you think of the bargaining process? What is the most important stage for the union? What is the most important stage for management? Explain why. Also discuss how you can improve the bargaining process.