A. 35 A B. 30 A C. 40 A D. 25 A
2. Assuming that the listed exception does not apply, the NEC states that the minimum number of overload unit(s) required for a three-phase, alternating current motor shall be
A. three. B. one. C. two. D. four.
3. What is the minimum size, general-use snap switch permitted, per the NEC to control a 1.5 HP, 1Φ, 230 V AC motor?
A. 30 A B. 20 A C. 25 A D. 15 A
4. What is the maximum allowable length, in feet, for a motor tap conductor according to the NEC? A. 40
5. The NEC requires that snap switches rated _______ amperes or less must be marked CO/ALR when connected to aluminum wire.
A. 15 B. 35 C. 25 D. 20
6. The NEC states that the tap conductors from a recessed lighting fixture may terminate in an outlet box that’s a minimum of _______ inches from the fixture.
A. 12 B. 18 C. 24 D. 6
7. Two electricians are discussing NEC requirements for common appliances. Electrician A says that new, cord-and-plug, single-phase room A/C units must have factory-installed LCDI or AFCI protection. Electrician B says that the cord for a household refrigerator must be visible and readily accessible to be used as a disconnect switch. Which of the following statements is correct?
A. Only Electrician B is correct. B. Only Electrician A is correct. C. Both electricians are correct. D. Neither electrician is correct.
8. Two electricians are discussing switchboards and panelboards. Electrician A says that switchboards and panelboards must provide front and rear access to meet accessibility requirements. Electrician B says that unused circuit breakers mounted in a panelboard should not be identified on the circuit directory until they are actually connected for a circuit application. Which of the following statements is correct?
A. Only Electrician A is correct. B. Both electricians are correct. C. Neither electrician is correct. D. Only Electrician B is correct.
9. According to the NEC, which of the following appliances is required to be connected to an individual branch circuit?
A. Trash Compactor
B. Range hood
D. Kitchen waste disposer
10. A flexible cable contains eight current-carrying conductors. What is the ampacity limit for this cable if the rating for a cable of the same type with no more than three conductors is 20 A?
A. 14 A B. 10 A C. 20 A D. 16 A
11. The NEC states that snap switches shouldn’t be grouped in enclosures unless they can be arranged so that the voltage between adjacent switches doesn’t exceed _______, or unless they’re installed in enclosures equipped with permanently installed barriers between adjacent switches.
A. 100 V
B. 300 V C. 400 V D. 200 V
12. The NEC states that for permanently connected appliances rated over _______ volt-amperes or &frac; horsepower, the branch-circuit switch or circuit breaker shall be permitted to serve as the disconnecting means where the switch or circuit breaker is within site from the appliance or is capable of being locked in the open position.
A. 300 B. 500 C. 750 D. 400
13. According to the NEC, the rating or setting of an overcurrent protection device for a 13.3-ampere, single, non-motor-operated appliance should not exceed _______ amperes.
A. 45 B. 20 C. 35 D. 15
14. When determining the number of overcurrent devices in a panelboard, a single 3-pole circuit a single 3- pole circuit breaker should be counted as _______ device(s).
A. 2 B. 6 C. 1 D. 3
15. Which of the following statements is true in regards to NEC requirements?
A. Switches mounted vertically must be positioned so that the up position is the OFF position.
B. A surface-mounted switch used in wet locations must be enclosed in a nonmetallic enclosure.
C. A snap switch mounted with metal screws to a metal cover that is connected to an ECG is grounded. D. Switching should occur only in a neutral conductor when using three-way switches.
16. Which of the following appliances must be supplied by an individual branch circuit? A. Range hood
B. Ceiling fan
C. Central heating unit
D. Garage door opener
17. What is the maximum ampacity for type SPE-1 flexible cable, 10 AWG copper, where only two conductors are current-carrying?
A. 35 A B. 20 A C. 30 A D.40A
18. The NEC requires that the total rating of a plug-connected room air conditioner, where lighting units or other appliances are also supplied, shall not exceed _______ percent of the branch-circuit rating.
A. 60 B. 75 C. 50 D. 70
19. Two electricians are installing receptacles for portable equipment on the outside of a multifamily dwelling. Electrician A says that any receptacles that are under a porch roof need a weatherproof cover only when a plug isn’t installed. Electrician B says that any receptacles that aren’t under the porch roof need a waterproof cover even when the plug is installed. Which of the following is correct?
A. Both electricians are correct. B. Only Electrician